A unique opportunity to create a public sculpture…to conceive
a grand and ambitious project.
What We Are Looking For
We are seeking portfolios from sculptors interested in constructing and installing a permanent sculpture on our 14 acre Sculpture Park.
The size of the sculpture should be ambitious. The theme of the installation is wide-ranging. Materials used must be able to withstand year round weather conditions. The artist is responsible for any maintenance or touch ups required for the duration of the installation.
- 24/7 Access to a metal fabrication studio-worp with specialized equipment to be used for work.
- Materials needed for the project.
- Access to local resources.
- Technical and logistical support
- Housing which includes private bedroom with shared bath, kitchen and living space.
- $1500 monthly Scholarship to cover food, transportation and living expenses.
- The expenses are covered by monies earmarked for residencies given by the Skolnick Family Foundation.
* Travel fees and other living charges are at the residents’ expense.
What Is Expected Of The Artist
- Make full use of the residency period offered for his/her project
- Be present during the entire residency period.
- Present his/her project created during the residency at a public event organized by GEM at the end of the residency period.
- Propose and teach a monthly workshop members of the community.
- Participate in all programs, artist talks and open studios scheduled during their residency.
- Donate their sculpture as a permanent installation to the G.E.M. Sculpture Park
Artists Must Meet These Requirements
- Be a recent graduate of a BA, BFA, MA or MFA program.
March 1, 2019 Deadline for submissions
April 1, 2019 Notification of selections
April 1 – 30 Scale models and design phase
May 1, 2019 Fabrication begins and continues until project is complete
Deadline: March 1 , 2019
Your application must include:
- The completed registration form
- A curriculum vitae/resume (maximum two pages, PDF format)
- An artist’s statement (maximum one page, PDF format)
- A letter of intent
- Sketches or pictures of scale models, if available.*
- A portfolio of 10 to 15 images (JPG format) accompanied by a description list of the images
- For videos, provide a link (Vimeo, YouTube), accompanied by the password, if applicable. Make sure that the videos will be accessible until April 1, 2019 *
- $25 application fee
* You must name your file as follows: 2019_last name_first name
* All incomplete applications will be automatically rejected.
When you submit your application by clicking on “Send,” a message at the bottom of the screen (under the “Send” button) will indicate that we have received your submission. You will also receive a confirmation of receipt by email within the following 24 hours.
If you have any questions or if you have not received the confirmation of receipt within this time, contact the GEM team: email@example.com
Instagram: Gville Express
“G.E.M. was an amazing opportunity for me. The staff and community made me felt welcome and with their resources and materials available allowed me to work bigger and take on challenges that I would not otherwise have taken. I felt it was a critical experience in my early art career allowing me access to a professional level residence to gain the knowledge, experience, and confidence to succeed”.
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
P.O. Box 299
Gilbertsville, NY 13776